Where Do I Start?
Research is a process: it takes time.
- Explore topics to find where your interest lies. Start with your textbook and course materials, conversations with other students in the class and, of course, your professor. Then browse reference sources and/or Google to begin your exploration and find ideas.
- Discover more in depth. Read what others have published in books or periodical articles that you could develop into a topic.
- Develop and use a Search Strategy:
- Once you have identified a topic, write it as a question.
- Think of as many words as you can to describe your topic. Add more terms that you discover as you search.
- Combine the terms using Boolean Logic (AND, OR, NOT) to get more relevant sources
- Be flexible: You may decide to modify your topic as you gain knowledge about your topic.
Finding Background Information for a Topic
Browse here for background information