To be successful in this learning module, you will be expected to:
1. Discuss concepts of health promotion and planning nursing care in the community.
2. Apply the nursing process to an epidemiologic approach to community assessment.
3. Examine characteristics of the community that indicate health strengths and health risks.
4. Develop an understanding of key methods of community assessment.
5. Complete an assessment of a community that includes planning for health promotion.
6. Integrate key resources into the development of community health promotion planning.
- Harkness & DeMarco Read Ch. 10 and Review Ch. 8
- Sarsour, L., Tong, V., Jaber, O., Talbi, M., & Julliard, K. (2010). Health Assessment of the Arab American Community in Southwest Brooklyn. Journal Of Community Health, 35(6), 653-659. (get through Linfield Library)
- Williams, K., Bray, P., Shapiro-Mendoza, C., Reisz, I., & Peranteau, J. (2009). Modeling the principles of community-based participatory research in a community health assessment conducted by a health foundation. Health Promotion Practice, 10(1), 67-75. (get through Linfield Library)
Learning Activity: Review Web Resources
- HealthyPeople.gov science-based, includes Healthy People 2020 objectives.
- Multnomah County Health Reports on the health of Multnomah County's residents and environment
- U.S. Census Data Access Tools including interactive maps
More Internet resources available under the Internet Resources tab.