Where Do I Start?
Research is a process: it takes time to find the good stuff
- Choose a topic that really interests you. Start with your textbook and course materials, conversations with other students in the class and, of course, your professor. Then browse reference sources and/or Google to begin your exploration and find ideas.
- Explore more in depth. Read what others have published in books or periodical articles that you could develop into a topic.
- Develop and use a Search Strategy:
- Once you have identified a topic, write it as a question.
- Think of as many words as you can to describe your topic. Add more terms that you discover as you search.
- Combine the terms using Boolean Logic (AND, OR, NOT) to get more relevant sources
- Be flexible: You may decide to modify your topic as you gain knowledge about your topic.