Where Do I Start?
Research is a process: it takes time to find the good stuff
- Choose a topic that really interests you. Start with your textbook and course materials. Your professor can be a big help in pointing you in a good direction. Then browse reference sources, newspapers, or even Google for other ideas.
- Explore what kind of information is available. See what others have published in books or periodical articles that you could develop into a topic.
- Develop and use a Search Strategy:
- Once you have identified a topic, write it as a question.
- Think of as many words as you can to describe your topic. Add more words, subject headings, and descriptors that you find as you search.
- Combine the terms for your online searching using Boolean Logic (AND, OR, NOT) to get more relevant sources
- Be flexible: Modify your topic as you discover more information.
Dayak Kenyah Women