Chemical Abstracts Database
Main database for Chemistry Research
This database requires a login and password and can only be used during specific hours; Mon. - Thurs. 5pm to 5am, Fri. 5 pm - Sat. 7 pm, and Sat. 10 pm - 5am Mon. Check with your Chemistry professor or Carol McCulley for login and password.
Start with broad terms and narrow for best results.
More Research Databases
Suggested Research Databases for Chemistry
How Do I Know If It's Scholarly?
Finding Credible Information About a Topic
Scholarly vs. popular journals: why choose scholarly?
- Your goal is to gather information from scholarly sources.
- You want timely, accurate information about your topic.
- You want your information written by a researcher/scholar in a peer reviewed journal.
- You want in depth information to educate yourself.
- You want references to lead you to other information about your topic.
How do I know if a journal is scholarly?
- Use a database that indexes only scholarly sources, like PubMed or Web of Science
- How to Distinguish Scholarly Journals from Other Periodicals
- Ulrich's International Periodical Directory (do a title search; check Document type to see if journal is popular or scholarly)